Saturday, February 12, 2011

Infant Carrier Tent

I finally decided that I was tired of toting Baby M around with a blanket all folded up over top of his infant carrier, which ultimately would always end up dragging all over as well. 
Solution: an infant carrier tent! 
And it was so simple to make.  I had seen one at Hippos and Dinosaurs a while back and had planned to use the tutorial that she had posted, but of course my son, B was using the computer at the time, so this is what I came up with.  

I used a yard of Hooty Hoot fabric and a yard of courdoroy that I had on hand to give it a little warmth and keep the wind from whipping right through it.  We tested it out yesterday when it was pretty windy and he didn't seem to notice the cold, so it must have been a success. 
I sewed the two pieces together, rounding the corners by tracing around the bottom of a formula can, leaving an opening for turning.  Then I topstitched around the whole piece.  I layed the cover over the carrier and marked the spots where I wanted to attach the straps. 
To make the straps, I cut four pieces of Hooty Hoot 1.5"  x 15".  Then I sewed 2 together and turned them.  Next, I topstitched the straps, turning under the raw ends and attatched them to the cover. 
And Voila!  An Infant Carrier Tent!

And when Baby M is no longer small enough for the carrier, I can take the straps off and he will have a great blankie for the car!

***I also have a dilema and I was hoping that some of you might be able to help.  I am scheduled to go back to work in about 3 weeks.  :(  Boo hoo!  My clothes with buttons and zippers still aren't my friends, and I was wondering if any of you know of some good elastic waste skirt tutorials.  I had forgotten how much fun it was getting rid of the baby fat! I would sure appreciate your suggestions!  Thank you!***

6 comments:

Synnove said...

What a great idea! So nice with the owl fabric:-)

Amy Friend said...

Great idea and oh so cute! I hear you on the buttons and zippers. I found that baby one was easy to recover from, baby two not too bad, but baby three did me in!

Bobbi said...

fantastic idea with the corduroy. im sure it will keep him nice and cozy. those windy winters are the worst. LOVE the owl fabric too :)

Maria said...

What a great carrier tent for the cold weather.
Jamie just google for a tutorial to make your skirt. I am sure there will be one.

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

that is so cool jamie...dzintra

Angie said...

Great job with the carrier. You had a successful FNSI. Cute owl fabric too!