Monday, January 25, 2010

Handmade for Haiti...a silent auction

Well, as usual the weekend wasn't quite long enough even with our surprise snow day on Friday. I did accomplish a lot though.  Somehow I finally mustered the energy to clean out my basement and turn it into a sewing room.  I am "sew" glad that I did.  I made two projects last night in no time for our "Handmade for Haiti" silent auction at school.  It's amazing what being organized can do!
I am the advisor for the school's OAmbassador club and my friend Cathy is the advisor for Key Club, so we combined our talents and came up with the idea for a silent auction.  We are getting a variety of items from jewelry to special order cakes.  It is a lot of fun and it is so nice to see everyone pulling together to help out!

Here is a travel pillow that I made for the auction from some Debbie Mumm fabrics that I bought before Christmas.  It was meant to be turned into a quilt, but I think it looks great as a pillow, too.


Here is a "Granny's Clothespin Apron" that I made, too!  It is from the One Yard Wonders book.  I LOVE that book!  The girls at school loved the apron, so I hope there will be lots of bids on it!  My lighting wasn't very good, so I hope that you can see the pockets.


I'll definitely be making more of those.  One for me, too!

And here is the auction table at the beginning of the day.  We have since added some items including a bunch of quilted purses.  I'm thinking about having the boys bake up some more of those dog treats.  I'm sure that there are some dog lovers that would be into those!
It may not look so great with all of the white bidding papers, but hopefully we will raise tons of money for Haiti!





2 comments:

Bobbi said...

what a great thing you are doing!!! i love that apron! i have a think for aprons right now...ill have to try and find that book.

Jamie said...

It is a great book! The projects sew up quickly for busy people like us. =) I got mine from Crafter's choice, but the website is www.storey.com. If you visit the site make sure you sign up for thier yard of the Month Sweepstakes!