Sunday, May 22, 2011

Tutti Frutti Banana Bread


 Warm. Moist. Yummy!  There is almost nothing better than banana bread fresh from the oven.  I have a favorite go to recipe that I make and embellish.  I named this loaf Tutti Frutti in honor of the coconut that I put in it.  I wish I could share a piece with all of you out there reading!


But since I can't, I thought I'd share my recipe.


Tutti Frutti Banana Bread

3 mashed, ripe bananas                           
1/3 C shortening                                      
2/3 cup sugar                                          
2 eggs      
1 3/4 C white whole wheat flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt


Preheat oven to 350.  Cream the first four ingredients together.  Add the remaining dry ingedients and mix together well.  Don't forget to grease your bread pan.  I use cooking spray.  Bake until the center is firm, approximately 70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack about 15 minutes before removing the loaf from the pan.

extras that I added to this loaf: 
1/4 cup coconut flakes
1/2 C golden raisins
1/4 C flax seed meal
1 tsp. cinnamon (Sorry, but I usually add this to everything!)

I would have loved to have added pecans as well, but my oldest is allergic to all tree nuts.  After he ate a piece of this bread we also decided that he is allergic to flax seed.  And I thought he was just kidding the first time he had it. ;o  We know for sure now! Thank God for Benadryl!


Enjoy!

Check back later.... I'll be posting my Sew Mama Sew giveaway!!  I can't wait until tomorrow to check out what everyone else is giving away!

2 comments:

Synnove said...

Yummy that looks good! I'll convert the recipe to Norwegian measurements and try baking it soon. I have never had banana bread before, no one ever makes that here in Norway. But I'm crazy for everything with banana in it, so I'll give it a try:-)

Have a great week!

Hugs.

Maria said...

Oh your cake looks delicious Jamie.
How lovely it would be to came and have a peice with you.
Thanks for the recipe.