Sunday, February 28, 2010

baking and a little sewing




WHAT IS THIS???


Just a birthday cake gone wrong... but it tasted so good!  Tomorrow is super hubby's birthday and we had a little celebration for him tonight.  I tried to make a blueberry coffee cake look more festive by making it as a layer cake, but the food coloring and I had a minor fight.  It may look like a swamp monster, but like I said, it sure tasted good!

Here is the whole cake.  It is one of my favorite cake recipes. Usually I put it in a 9x13 pan.


Here is the recipe if you'd like to try it.  Please avoid using food coloring though!

Blueberry Coffee Cake
1/2 c shortening
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1 1/2 c sugar
4 c flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
4 c blueberries (I use frozen)

Mix first four ingredients and then slowly mix in dry ingredients.  Add in blueberries.  The mixture will be very thick.  Spread mixture in a 9x13 in. pan.

TOPPING:
1 c brown sugar
2/3 c flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 c shortening or butter

Mix topping into crumbs and put on top of batter before baking.
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
Enjoy!

I also have a friend who has a birthday tomorrow, too.  I made her a cute little needle book.  She likes to sew, too.  I know that she will appreciate it.







3 comments:

Bobbi said...

the cake looks delic...even if its green. the needle book...C U T E! you should do a tutorial so someone like me can make one :)
for my stitching needles.

Diane said...

cute needle book! I saw the one you made Bobbi and these are adorable.

Anonymous said...

Love the cake! Martha Stewart would be much less intimidating if she put a few of these on her show.

Karen